Skip to main content Skip to local navigation

Social Insurance Number (SIN) Clinic

Get your Social Insurance Number processed on campus!
Service Canada will offer on-campus Social Insurance Number (SIN) transactions for international students who have valid Study Permits.
Social Insurance Number for International Students
You need a SIN from Service Canada to work in Canada or to get benefits and services from government programs.
To apply for a SIN to work oncampus, your study permit must have these conditions printed on it:

May accept employment on the campus of the institution at which registered in full-time studies
May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria

If your study permit doesn’t have these conditions, but you meet the criteria, you can ask to have them added so you can apply for a SIN. There is no fee to add these conditions.
What to bring for SIN Clinic
To apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN), to request a confirmation of your SIN or to amend your SIN record, you must provide a valid primary document that proves your identity and legal status in Canada. Please bring valid identity documents as follow:

Primary Document AND
Passport / Government Photo ID

Primary documents
A primary document is an official document that proves your identity and status in Canada.

You must provide original documents; photocopies are not accepted.
All documents must be written in English or French or be accompanied by an official translation attested to by the translator before a notary public, or prepared by an officer of a foreign government or an official of a British or Canadian consulate.

Temporary residents must provide an original of one of the following:

Work permit issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
Study permit issued by IRCC, indicating that you are authorized to work in Canada:

a study permit that indicates the permit holder “may accept employment” or “may work” in Canada; or
a study permit and a “confirmation to work off campus” letter issued by IRCC prior to February 11, 2015.

If neither of these requirements is met, you must contact IRCC to verify if you are eligible to apply for an amended study permit.
Note: Each student should select one date and one appointment. Each appointment will last for approximately 10 minutes.
Click here to register!


Sep 18 2019


9:30 am - 3:00 pm


242 York Lanes
QR Code