Level Up | How to file taxes in Canada (for beginners)
Thinking about filing your taxes and are unsure where to start? Join this informative session to hear from industry expert and York U alumnus, Wei En (Ryan) Chen (BComm ’22), Senior Tax Associate, MySolutions team at PwC and learn about a range of topics that will give you the confidence you need to prepare your own tax return.
This session will cover:
- Basics of the Canadian tax system — What is a tax return? Why do we need to file one? What are Canadian tax rates?
- Various types of income sources that are taxed and their implications — salary vs. investment income
- Types of tax returns available to file
- Tax slips (T3, T4, T5, T2202A,T4RSP) that are commonly applicable to new grads
- Deadlines to file your taxes
- Common tax credits and deductions available and those that are relevant to students or recent graduates
- Tax planning strategies to save or defer taxes to the future
- Tax filing software available to file tax returns
Registration is required in advance and attendees will have the opportunity to ask questions.