Introduction to Podcasting
Presenter: Ted Belke & Anna St.Onge
Learn to organize a podcast, record and edit audio, and prepare the necessary components to launch your own podcast or audio series.
Using equipment and studio space of the Scott Library’s Media Creation Lab, participants will gain experience recording and editing audio with the goal of launching a podcast series. This workshop consists of four parts that will take place over two sessions: Part 1 & 2 on Friday 24 November and Part 3 & 4 on Friday 1 December 2023 between 10:00am and 12:30pm. Please note you must register for both days to secure your spot: https://yorku.libcal.com/event/3763072 and https://yorku.libcal.com/event/3763073.
Participants will be introduced to audio recording fundamentals, including:
- how to research the podcasting landscape to identify your niche;
- drafting a short script;
- recording audio using the Media Creation Lab’s recording booth and podcasting table in the Flex Studio;
- recording audio out in the field using a portable Zoom H4N Pro recorder;
- importing, editing, and refining audio recordings using Audacity software;
- incorporating openly-licensed material into your podcast and learn how to apply Creative Commons licencing to your own work;
- explore podcasting hosting services; and
- draft a plan for how to promote, launch and maintain an ongoing podcast.
Location: Room 204 (Media Creation Lab Flex Studio), Scott Library
Space is very limited but registrants on the waitlist will be given priority should future workshops be offered in 2024.